Welcome!

If you are a new visitor to my blog, may I suggest you start at the beginning of our journey with Bipolar by visiting my archives

Thanks for reading.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Medication Overload

While the changes in Josh on medication are amazing, he seems to have days when he's not at his best.  His mood at times remind me of 'back then'; back then when he wasn't on meds and he'd be full of negativity and everything *I* do is 'wrong'.  To hear him tell it, when he's in one of those moods, I'm the biggest idiot to ever walk; I don't even know how to park my car correctly.  He is NO FUN to be around when he's like this and I steel myself as I take hit after hit.

I've been worried about these mood shifts, wondering what is causing them.  Is his medication just not dialed in correctly yet?  Is he derailing the process by occasionally drinking?  Is it situational? (He's not yet found a job, so he gets lonely and bored).

He saw his doctor last week, and before his visit he expressed that he wasn't sure what the purpose of the visit was, what he should say to his doctor.

"Well, you need to be honest with him and tell him how you are feeling on these medications.  You're worried about your weight gain (12 pounds since he began his meds just a few months ago), so tell him that, and tell him how long that one med is making you sleep.  He can make adjustments if he knows what you're experiencing.  I think you should tell him that your moods have been shifting a little bit too."

"Mom, everybody has mood swings, so I'm not telling him about THAT."

"Well, your mood swings probably aren't 'normal' mood swings, they're based on your disorder.  You may not SEE them, but I do."

"Well, I'm not telling him that."

Fine!

The doctor added an anti-depressant to Josh's pill regime.

"Why did he add that?"

"Cause I'm depressed?"

"Oh."

The new medication is one that does not have weight gain as a side effect and the doctor feels it might actually help suppress Josh's appetite.  Josh says he feels better with this new med; more focused and more energetic.

As I talked to Josh about all this, I could tell he had done a good job of communicating with his doctor, but he said he feels so anxious when he has to meet with his doctor and therapist.

"You should probably take one of your anti-anxiety pills before your visits." (he takes these only as needed)

"Yea, I think you're right, I think it might help.  I just get so self-conscious when I have to talk to them."

His doctor wants to see him again this Friday to re-check the new med and Josh sees his therapist tomorrow.

Josh needs to find a job; I think things would begin to get 'better' for him if he were working and could finally normalize his schedule.  He wants so badly to work.  He had a job interview last week, but the job was only part time (28 hrs a week) and it's on the other side of town.  We discussed whether he should take this job or not.  Josh feels so badly about the fact that I am supporting him.

"Well honey, I think it's really important that you get the right job.  Whether you take this job or not is your decision, but I don't want you to take it if it's not a situation that's going to really work for you long term.  I'd rather keep paying your bills another month or two if that means you get the right situation in the end."

I gave him several ideas about other places to apply for work, several of them are low end clerical type jobs, but I think a job like that (40 hours in a low key office environment) would be a good jumping off point for him.  It's so hard for someone like Josh (no skills, no college degree) to find a job when so many people are out there looking.

We went to a movie this weekend and afterwards we were sitting at home talking and he said, "I feel so bad for you Mom, you've been through so much with me."

"Well, if you really feel that way, then keep doing what you're doing; seeing your doctor and taking your meds, because I know it's the only way you're going to be able to have a better life."

"Dr H asked me if I believe I'm Bipolar and I told him no."

"What did he say to that?"

"He just scribbled in my chart."

Yea, I just bet he scribbled in Josh's chart...probably a note to this therapist to help Josh with the issue of acceptance.

I cannot imagine what it must feel like to Josh to not 'believe' in his diagnosis, and yet, be treating it.  And because he's in this headspace, I worry that he'll eventually give up the fight and stop his meds.

I have an awful lot of respect for him that he IS doing this though.  I know that right now, his life pretty much sucks, and yet, he's hanging in there.

He has been spending quite a bit of time with his 'good' friends who are home from college for the summer.  I dread when they all go back to school the middle of August because that will put Josh further in isolation.  It would be nice if he has work by then to occupy some his time.

Josh's general demeanor isn't the only improvement I see since he began meds.  He regularly cleans his apartment and that is a gigantic step.  He has always lived like a sloth, but I've told him that my hairdresser, whose husband has bipolar, has told me that her husband MUST HAVE a neat organized home and work environment or she notices it causes him mood problems.  Josh has been keeping his apartment very neat and tidy which amazes me.

As a mother, this journey has been so difficult, and yet, I have had to learn that this isn't MY journey.  Because Josh is in treatment, I feel a huge relief, but I know that anything is possible and I try very hard to just be there for Josh in appropriate ways.  I can only offer guidance and advice, but he gets to make all the decisions.  Right now, for the most part, I see him making mostly good decisions and so I'm able to relax a bit with all of this.

It's very hard to know what is possible 'if only'.  If only he'll stay in treatment.  If only he'd get a job.  But it doesn't escape my notice that NONE of this is in MY control.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say a few things that may not be what you like but here it goes.

Getting a full time may be too much for him or at least just going in full time at a new place with new people, new hours, and new responsibilities. I would freak out if I had to do that. It is best to find a comfortable job at 10-15hours a week for the first 3 weeks then build up to 25 and maybe eventually full time. But it does take time. He has to be comfortable being able to call in sick and be honest with his boss and that also takes time.

As far as the new medicine I am guessing it is Welbutrin or maybe the mood stabilizer Topomax. I take the anti depressant Cymbalta and it works wonders for me.

Also, this is your journey as well. He is your baby boy and there is no way for you to not be involved. It is so wonderful you are so proactive in his treatment. And if you can write out what parts of his behavior comes across a sbipolar it may help him.. if he is capable of that kind of honesty right now. It may hurt his feelings at first but he eventually needs that wake up call.

I wish you and him all the best!

Anonymous said...

It's a relief to find your blog and to read the comments by "In the Pink" who offers the perspective of the person living with bp.

I just "put out" my 19 year old son who has bp after another slew of parties,and broken and stolen items in my home while I was out of town.

He's furious,scared; his father from whom I'm divorced is angry with me because he now has to deal with our son's situation, too.

I'm sad and worried, feel bad, and hope and pray I made the right decision.

He's couch surfing right now; just stopped his part-time job, and has been binge drinking and smoking pot.

He's on meds for his illness but refuses psychotherapy right now.

Any words of wisdom and guidance?

Thanks.

Have the T-shirt said...

In the Pink - Josh was working CLOSE to full time, but it was a very stressful job waiting tables, plus he started medication right before he decided to quit because the night shift was messing him up too.

I don't KNOW if he can handle a full time job, but he thinks he can. He insists on working either two part time jobs or one full time and I vote for one low stress full time, but maybe I should be encouraging him to find ONE low stress part time and then ADD another later?

Great advice...thanks so much, I love hearing from someone who has been through this on Josh's side of the disorder.

Have the T-shirt said...

Anonymous - The only 'wisdom' I can impart is for you to take care of yourself always, you'll be worthless to HIM if you don't do that. Having your son leave your home is in fact, you taking care of you as you FORCE him to take care of himself.

I've been there, I have that T-shirt, so I know the feelings of fear and doubt that you are struggling through right now.

I finally had to realize that, in the end, my son had to figure out HOW to live with this disorder, and he wasn't doing ANYTHING towards that goal while being coddled in Mommy's house refusing to step up to the plate. For me, kicking him out of my home had the desired effect...kind of. He struggled badly, but badly enough that he realized he had to address the issue with medications and he stopped smoking pot. (he occasionally still drinks, but assures me it's not to excess, just a few drinks).

Whether you believe in God or not, I will tell you that as I was going through what you are now going through, The Serenity Prayer helped alot. It reminded me of the NEED to find Serenity for myself as I walked through this and to do what I COULD, and let go of what was out of my control.

So much of this truly IS out of OUR control and I really wasn't able to find Serenity until I could accept that fact. I'm here for him offering whatever assistance I can as long as he is doing the things he needs to do. There is such a fine line between helping and enabling and so you must be sure to walk on the right side of that line.

I hope that your son is able to 'get it', but I can almost guarantee that he stands a better chance of getting it now that he's faced with REALITY.

Bipolar is a bitch of a mistress but our sons have to live with it the rest of their lives, and so, they need to get onboard with doing what's necessary to assure a bright future.

I found so much comfort by attending our local bipolar support group. If there's one in your area, I would HIGHLY recommend that to you. The support and suggestions you get there can be very helpful.

I can imagine that you are spending a lot of your time worrying about his safety and spinning possible scenarios (all of them negative, of course), so I would advise you to try not to 'go there'. That's very difficult, but when I would find myself getting out of control upset, I had several things I turned to to help me find some 'calm'. Playing guitar calms me, exercising can help, I prayed ALOT, I'd go to one of those $25 Foot Massage places and get an hour massage in a zen environment...whatever relaxes you and distracts you, you need to do in those really bad moments.

I'll keep you and your son in my thoughts and prayers. He's so young and I know how much is at stake, but there's a very good chance that he'll fall to the place where he realizes he needs to pick himself up.

Biggest hugs.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words of comfort and wisdom. It helps to know I'm not alone.