Welcome!

If you are a new visitor to my blog, may I suggest you start at the beginning of our journey with Bipolar by visiting my archives

Thanks for reading.

Monday, June 27, 2011

A Book Review

Saturday Josh and I ran errands.  One of our errands was to go to the library.  There was a book there I'd been advised to read.  "Depression is a Choice"  by A.B. Curtiss.  The author believes that depression and mania can be treated without the aid of medications.  The premise being that we 'learn' to follow a path of depression and that we can 'learn', or reprogram ourselves, away from depression and mania.

I have barely begun reading that book.  That's not the book I want to talk about today.  While looking through that section of the library, I picked up another book, "Hurry Down Sunshine" by Michael Greenberg. 

Michael's daughter, Sally, suffered a manic episode at the age of fifteen.  This is the story of their experiences.  It was a 'difficult' read because so much of what this father experienced, mirrors what I experienced during Josh's mania and hospitalization.  I could relate to his feelings of fear and sorrow.

Once his daughter came home (she was hospitalized MUCH longer than Josh was), Michael became almost obsessed with monitoring his daughter, and her reaction was just like Josh's was when *I* was obsessively monitoring him; "Do you think I'm insane?  Is that it?"

Her mania, the things she said, so reminded me of the things Josh said during his manic phase, and then after, once medication had kicked in, she seemed to be trying so hard to figure out what happened, what did all this MEAN.  I remember Josh expressing those same thoughts, along with shame and remorse and the realization that they could no longer trust their mind.

It was disheartening to me to read the Epilogue, to realize that, even though Sally was stabilized on medication and doing well, Bipolar continued to impact her life.

This book is very well written, and if I actually had writing skills, I could have written a very similar book based on my experiences with this disorder.  The glaring differences to me, between Sally and Josh, are that Sally was a minor when she suffered her first full blown mania.  Josh was already a legal adult, and that changes things a bit.  First of all, when symptoms begin at a young age, the prognosis isn't as good regarding treatment, and because Josh was a legal adult, I had no real power to force treatment. The last real difference seems to be in the experiences with the mental health environment.

Sally was hospitalized longer and it seems, her family was much more active in the process than I was allowed to be.  Even though Josh had signed releases allowing for an exchange of information about his condition, I was NEVER able to get much information while he was hospitalized, nor was I allowed to visit.  Josh was not even close to stable with his medications when he came home and *I* was given no after care education at all.

Because Josh was given a dual diagnosis of Bipolar II AND drug dependency (pot usage), his after care focused heavily on the drug dependency and I believe this caused him to bail on the outpatient program.  He didn't stay in treatment long enough to see any benefits from anything being done for him.  Sally had no underlying drug use, and Sally had not been suicidal as Josh had been.

Reading this book brought back all that turmoil for me, it's a very accurate portrayal of the myriad aspects of a Bipolar diagnosis.  Michael captures all those feelings of being 'lost' and 'out of control' so well. When you're first faced with this situation, you're like a newborn baby; the lights are too bright, the air is cold on your skin, you are so much out of your element and the overwhelming feeling is one of, "put me back in there to float in blissful oblivion!"  You just so badly want things to return to normal.

But normal isn't easy to come by with this disorder.  For the patient or for the family members. 

I suppose, from my vantage point, I view this book as a cautionary tale for anyone struggling through the maze of Bipolar.  You can do everything 'right'; you can find something resembling 'normal', but you can still get derailed.

It sounds like Sally has been able to fashion her life in a way that works for her.  I only hope Josh is able to do the same.

No comments: