Welcome!

If you are a new visitor to my blog, may I suggest you start at the beginning of our journey with Bipolar by visiting my archives

Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Holding Pattern

Josh celebrated his birthday with us (us being my BF, his brother and brother's girlfriend). He was a little nit picky with me, but generally seemed ok. His brother felt he seemed OK. So maybe his current 'state of mind' is more a function of how crappy his life is right now and not so much bipolar based. I dunno. He's started his new job; is in training and liking it ok but hoping to get more hours and make more money once training is over. I haven't seen him since his birthday, but have talked to him several times. He is functioning, I guess. He made a dentist's appointment, hoping to get his teeth cleaned and checked before his insurance ran out. Then he slept through the appointment (a $75 missed appointment fee). He rescheduled and called me five minutes after he was supposed to be there and said he'd just woken up. I suggested he call them and see if they could still see him. He shouted, "Whatever!" at me and hung up. BUT, he DID call them and they DID see him and he has one small cavity and will go back tomorrow to have it filled. He also made an appointment with his eye doctor. So in some ways, he's kind of on top of it....kind of. He did mention to me that he has 'fun' at work, "funny thing is that no one there knows how really depressed I am, they just think I'm fun to be around." I KNOW there is underlying depression. Who wouldn't be depressed living as Josh is? The saddest thing for me is that I don't see how his situation is going to improve anytime soon. He's not making enough money to move out of his father's house, so he's stuck in an unhealthy environment. So I worry, and then I move my worry to the back burner because, in the end, there's not much I can do about Josh's situation. I stay in touch and monitor him and hope he stays in a state that slightly resembles stable. I'm not willing to intervene to the point of having him move back here, I merely help where I can and stay in touch. It seems like not enough, but I don't know how else to handle this situation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

re being happy; I think Milton said it best:
The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven.

And perhaps less eloquently: Everyone deserves to be happy and your happines is your responsibility.